Monday 28 February 2011

Captain Iglo Calling


The other day I received an email from the lady that I had interviewed, asking me if I would like to help the office out with a research they’re making and get paid. I accepted, so now I’m an hour away from my first “day” at work. My work entails calling other Greek people up who graduated from the University I’m currently in and asking them what they’re up to now that they are the proud holders of a University degree.

So, that being said it goes without saying that this is going to be a fast entry.
Alright, so as I was in the library researching for one of my assignments, as good students do, when I decided that I wanted a hot drink. Having drunk 4 cups of coffee already today I thought of going for something else. Tea.

Some months ago I was at my best friend’s house and he had all these flavours of tea and I must admit I fell for the vanilla/caramel one like a little teenage girl fell for Justin Bieber when he first got on T.V. Pathetic I know but I had forgotten about it and today I thought, “why not..I’m going to check what tea-flavours they have at the canteen.”

But here’s where trouble begins. I see that they have the vanilla flavour that I’m after, so I’m going to the man behind the counter and say “may I have some vanilla flavour tea please...” he looks at me and says: “so you want a cup of tea and vanilla syrup in it?”. I say “nope I want vanilla flavoured tea, the one the sign says you have...” He looks at me with the smirk of Mr. Genius and says “you mean vanilla chai latte?” I agree without even repeating what he said and just say “just don’t put milk in it...” and he says: “so you want a vanilla chai like a tea?”. I agree again.

To me chai and tea are one and the same NO difference. Even in some foreign languages chai and tea mean the exact same thing! Check it if you don't believe me.
I'll keep defending my argument even if you prove me wrong anyway.

Now a few other little things, that make absolutely no sense at all. Starbucks. Tall- Grande – Venti. These are the three sizes you can get.

Tall: When you say that something is “tall” in everyday life it means that that something is “big”. But the Starbucks dudes, when they say “tall” they mean small.

Grande: If you want to use the right pronunciation as well you say “gran-dEH” which also means “big” in Spanish. BUT for the Starbucks dudes means “medium”

Venti: Are you ready for this? Are you ready to see how stupid you (including me sometimes) sound when you order it? Venti stands for “twenty” in Italian. But no, for the Starbucks guys means large.

So, I don’t care about your VENTI CARAMEL CHAI LATTE, I just want people to understand me when I give my order like a normal person. But I can't diss starbucks cause I like some of their drinks. Damn you fuckers. I'm out. bye

p.s: It’s freezing outside and seeing guys and girls sacrificing warmth over style makes me shiver even when I wear scarf, hat and my big coat. “Oh it’s really cold outside...” No shit Sherlock, try a coat and leave the fisherman’s jeans for the fisherman.

No comments: