Thursday 2 August 2012

Thanks For The Party Music


Last night I heard- read- the news through a friend’s post on facebook. Tony Sly, the lead singer of the punk rock band “No Use For A Name” died at the age of 41.

It’d be a lie if I said that the news didn’t phase me but it’d also be a lie if said that the news left me devastated. But surely it affected me in one way or the other.  

No Use For A Name, was one of the first punk rock bands I ever listened to and got introduced to by a friend of mine back when I was 15. Even though Sly’s voice didn’t excite me his lyrics surely followed me through my high-school years and I still consider him as one of the most honest and talented lyricist in punk rock.

I could go through the whole cliché in a way ordeal saying how much he meant to me and all that crap but I won’t because it’d be a lie. But I can surely say that from that one time that I interviewed him he was one of the friendliest and kind people I’ve ever met.

Thanks for all the party music, thanks for all the shared emotions, thanks for all the lyrics and thanks for everything you left behind Mr Sly! 

No comments: